- Large doses of vitamin D reduced CFS/Fibromyalgia in > 10 studies
- Many books and on-line forums recommend vitamin D for CFS/Fibromyalgia
- Vitamin D also reduces a wide variety of pains
(More Fibromyalgia/CFS info below)
Learn how Vitamin D is essential for good health
Watch a 5 minute video "Does Less Sun Mean more Disease?"
Browse for other Health Problems and D in left column or here
see also Supplementing for D and More in the menu at the top of very page
- Vitamin D Levels can be restored quickly within a week with a loading dose.
- With a loading dose you will probably feel the benefits in a week.
- A Vitamin D test is generally NOT required before having a loading dose.
- If you don't feel better within 2 weeks you do not need to continue taking vitamin D for CFS/ME/Fibromyalgia.
When stopped, your body will naturally reduce eliminate any excess vitamin D within 2 months.
Table of Contents for the rest of this page
- See also VitaminDWiki - Fatigue, Fibromyalgia
- German web site and book – relief in 1 week
- 4 Vitamin D books with sections on Chronic Pain/ Fibromyalgia
- Loading Dose of Vitamin D
- After loading dose just one tiny capsule every 2 weeks
- See also VitaminDWiki - related topics
- See also pubmed - CFS, Fibromyalgia
- See also web - CFS, Fibromyalgia
- MedScape set of articles on CFS/ Fibromyalgia 2014-2015
- Fibromyalgia description - diagnosis takes many years
- Fibromyalgia pain worse than labor pain
- If gut problems & Fibro - may need a different form of Vitamin D
- Nice body chart by Dr. Carey
- EasyImmuneHealth 2014?
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome associated with different gut bacteria
See also VitaminDWiki - Fatigue, Fibromyalgia
- Search VitaminDWiki for “Chronic Fatigue" OR CFS OR "Myalgic Encephalomyelitis") 191 items as of Jan 2017
- Fibromyalgia helped by Vitamin D – still not sure how much, and why - June 2016
- Fatigue reduced by a single dose of vitamin D (100,000 IU) – RCT Dec 2016
- Fibromyalgia treated with Vitamin D (50,000 IU weekly for 3 months) – 2016, 2017
- Fibromyalgia development 1.9 X more likely if low vitamin D – Jan 2016
- Sleep, Vitamin D, Vitamin B-12, IBS, Fibromyalgia - Gominak March 2015
- High dose vitamin reduced pain of fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis - July 2015
- Chronic Fatigue and Vitamin D insight – Jan 2014
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome reduced with 25,000 IU of vitamin D weekly – June 2013 achieved 30-48 ng level
- Fatigue substantially reduced by 450,000 IU Vitamin D2 spread over 5 weeks – Aug 2014
- Chronic Widespread Pain associated with Vitamin D under 10 ng – meta-analysis Oct 2015
- Overlap between Fibromyalgia and other Chronic Pains – 2012
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome reduced by D-Ribose – 2012
- Magnesium and Vitamin D - similar, different and synergistic both deal with Chronic Fatigue
- 7100 IU vitamin D (50,000 weekly) significantly reduced fibromyalgia – 2009
German web site and book – relief in 1 week
- Excellent Vitamin D web site with a Free Vitamin D evaluation service in English and another in German
- Healthy in Seven Days- Success through vitamin D treatment – book 2014 which has the following chart
Case studies in book include: Back and leg pain, Chronic fatigue, Lethargy, Fatigue, Exhaustion, Neck pain, Emergency relief from exhaustion, .
4 Vitamin D books with sections on Chronic Pain/ Fibromyalgia
- The Vitamin D Solution: CFS on pages 4,12,67 Fibromyalgia 4, 6, 12, 65-68
- The Vitamin D Cure: Chronic pain and Fibromyalgia pg 133-136
- Power of Vitamin D: contained in chapter pg 25-34 available as an e-book for $5
- Vitamin D Prescription: Fibromyalgia on pages 4, 20-23, 80-84, 171, 185, 198-199
Loading Dose of Vitamin D
Overview Loading of vitamin D
Check that you are not allergic to vitamin D by trying a small amount - say 1,000 IU and seeing any reactions (only about 1 in 300 people are)
The brand vitamin D with the least amount of additives and no reported bad reactions is Bio-Tech - which also is the highest rated brand on Amazon
Of the few people with reactions to vitamin D, many appear to be deficient in Magnesium - Magnesium Chloride is a good supplement
A typical loading dose in 400,000 IU - can be, for example, be achieved by 50,000 IU capsules once a day for 8 days.
After loading dose just one tiny capsule every 2 weeks
- One pill every two weeks gives you all the vitamin D most adults need - also has a lot of information on Vitamin D
About 2 cents per day. Eight of the same 50,000 IU capsules can be used as a loading dose: at a total cost of $2.00
- How often might 50000 IU vitamin D be taken - results of clinical trials - shows how many other diseases will be prevented/cured with 1 pill every 2 weeks
See also VitaminDWiki - related topics
- Rheumatoid arthritis associated with low vitamin D – Fibromyalgia makes it even lower – Oct 2014
- Inflammation category
- Depression category
- Headache category
- Hypothesis of Autoimmunity which includes Barr Virus and Vitamin D Deficiency – 2012
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome was called Epstine Barr Virus before 1988
- All items in category Chronic Pain
- Pain subjectively and objectively lower in people with higher levels of vitamin D – Aug 2014
- 100 Million Americans Have Chronic Pain – IoM June 2011
See also pubmed - CFS, Fibromyalgia
Search for (fibromyalgia OR "Chronic Fatigue") "vitamin d" 71 items as of March 2017
- Efficacy of vitamin D replacement therapy on patients with chronic nonspecific widespread musculoskeletal pain with vitamin D deficiency Nov 2016
"Vitamin D replacement treatment in patients with nonspecific CWP has provided improvements in musculoskeletal symptoms, level of depression and quality of life of patients. Patients with CWP should be investigated for vitamin D deficiency." Publisher wants $6 for the PDF
- Vitamin D in Fibromyalgia: A Causative or Confounding Biological Interplay? June 2016 Free PDF online
- Is Serum Hypovitaminosis D Associated with Chronic Widespread Pain Including Fibromyalgia? A Meta-analysis of Observational Studies Sept 2015
"There was a positive crude association between hypovitaminosis D and CWP, and the association was likely to remain after adjusting confounding factors. Use of a cut-off value of hypovitaminosis D (8-10 ng/mL) could better define the population with and without CWP. " Free PDF online
- Effects of vitamin D on patients with fibromyalgia syndrome: a randomized placebo-controlled trial Feb 2014
"The goal was to achieve serum calcifediol levels between 32 and 48ng/mL for 20 weeks via oral supplementation with cholecalciferol."
"A marked reduction in pain was noted over the treatment period "
"This economical therapy with a low side effect profile may well be considered in patients with FMS"
See also web - CFS, Fibromyalgia
- 20+ Natural Fibromyalgia Solutions Including The Gluten Free Diet GreenMedInfo,Feb 2014
includes: Magnesium, Vitamin D, Coenzyme Q10, D-Ribose (reduced symptoms in 2/3 of people,
- People commenting on CFS and vitamin D
- Are sunlight and vitamin D good for chronic fatigue syndrome?
- Fighting Fatigue website on vitamin D
- Is Vitamin D Important For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
- How Fibromyalgia and Vitamin D Deficiency Are Linked?
- Fibromyalgia & CFS Blog at About.com
- Updated Jan 2011 - feeling much better with 5,000 IU daily - many comments
- Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia at About.com
- WikiPedia :African Americans and Native Americans have a significantly higher risk of CFS.2009 (Dark skin is associated with less vitamin d)
- Vitamin D deficiency and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Oct 2012 - long blog post with lots of references
- Editorial: Fibromyalgia: could vitamin D help? International Journal of Clinical Rheumatology, June 2014
No abstract, Publisher charges $20 to rent the abstract for a day
- fibromyalgia pateint overview Vitamin D Council - 2013 ?
- Fibromyalgia is worse during pregnancy fibromyalgia-symptoms.org
Which could be predicted since vitamin D levels drop during pregnancy
- Symptoms of Fibromyalgia Patients Like Me
- Patients Like Me has lots of Fibromyalgia information such as a chart which show who has it
- Vitamin D at CureTogether: Fibromyalgia, MS, Psorasis, etc - Dec 2013
Vitamin D is fairly popular among 113 treatments, and has some effectiveness even at low doses (assume 2,000 IU without loading dose)
- Fibromyalgia is a disorder of unknown etiology characterized by widespread pain, abnormal pain processing, sleep disturbance, fatigue and often psychological distress.
- People with fibromyalgia may also have other symptoms; such as:Morning stiffness, Tingling or numbness in hands and feet, Headaches, including migraines, Irritable bowel syndrome, Sleep disturbances, Cognitive problems with thinking and memory (sometimes called "fibro fog"), Painful menstrual periods and other pain syndromes
- Fibromyalgia often co-occurs (up to 25-65%) with other rheumatic conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis (RA), systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), and ankylosing spondylitis (AS).
- Prevalence 3.4% women, 0.5% men - averaged over all ages - increases with age
- Working age women with fibromyalgia hospitalized for occupational musculoskeletal disorders were almost 10 times less likely to return to work
Causes and/or risk factors for fibromyalgia are unknown, but some things have been loosely associated with disease onset:
Stressful or traumatic events, Repetitive injuries, Illness (e.g. viral infections), Certain diseases (i.e., SLE, RA, chronic fatigue syndrome), Genetic predisposition, Obesity
Note by VitaminDWiki: most of these are associated with a decrease in vitamin D levels
- Effect of Correction of Low Vitamin D in Fatigue Study (EViDiF Study) Aug 2014
Full free text online. 50,000 IU of D2 3 times per week for 5 weeks got 96% of subjects > 30 ng. Total fatigue scores dropped from 33 down to 11
same study described at Vitamin D Council free
- A Primer on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome GreenMedInfo Jan 2015
Mentions Vitamin D
- Hope for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome SLATE Nov 2015
"And the hallmark symptom of the illness is that exertion can make patients much, much worse"
". . . the National Institutes of Health spends $5 million to $6 million a year on a disease that affects a million Americans. (For comparison, about the same number of people with HIV/AIDS, which receives $3 billion in NIH funding.)"
article describes major shortcommings of the previous PCE trial
- ME isn’t just ‘exercise phobia’: it’s a physical illness Nov 2015
People die of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) when PCE type techniquies are used.
74 per cent of ME patients are harmed by the therapy
MedScape set of articles on CFS/ Fibromyalgia 2014-2015
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Wrong Name, Real Illness Jan 2015
Called CFS in US, and elsewhere myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME). since 1988, defined by CDC in 1999
'' malaise lasting days to weeks following even modest physical or mental exertion, unrefreshing sleep, and cognitive dysfunction.
Chronic pain is common and many patients also meet criteria for fibromyalgia.
ME/CFS appears to be more common among ethnic and racial minority groups and in those of lower socioeconomic status
Many ME/CFS patients able to pinpoint the condition's onset to a flulike illness from which they never recovered
- Fibromyalgia: The Latest in Diagnosis and Care Sept 2014
It was previously called neurasthenia, then fibrositis (medical fas included removing organs to "cure" the probllem)
diagnostic criteria, of 1990 and 2010 were meant to be used for research studies, not to diagnose individual patients.
Now recommend looking at widespread pain accompanied by fatigue, sleep, memory, and mood problems
- Pain and Depression Treatment Possible in Fibromyalgia Sept 2014
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Aug 2014
- Fibromyalgia May 2014
Lab testing includes:Metabolic panel, Urinalysis, Thyroid-stimulating hormone level, 25-hydroxy vitamin D level
Vitamin B12. Iron, Magnesium, Erythrocyte sedimentation rate, Antipolymer antibodys
See also VitaminDWiki combined Vitamin D, Iron, Magnesium deficiences
Deficiencies of iron and vitamin D are interrelated in women
Iron deficiency is a cause of Vitamin D deficiency which has an Iron supplement which is 23X better than typical.
Fibromyalgia description - diagnosis takes many years
Fibromyalgia pain worse than labor pain
Pain Medical Musing from a 1988 book
If gut problems & Fibro - may need a different form of Vitamin D
Standard Vitamin D is not absorbed well in poorly functioning guts (IBS, etc)
There are many different "gut friendly" forms of vitamin D
Vitamin D injection is far better than oral for diabetics (poor gut) – RCT March 2017
Nice body chart by Dr. Carey
Fibromyalgia and Vitamin D Don't Get Misdiagnosed
Fibromyalgia and Vitamin D Deficiency very often have COMPLETELY IDENTICAL symptoms.
Large numbers of people have been misdiagnosed with Fibromyalgia when they simply have Vitamin D Deficiency- don't be one of them.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome associated with different gut bacteria
- Gut Bacteria Are Different in People With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome New York Times July 2016
"The stool samples of those with C.F.S. had significantly lower diversity of species compared with the healthy people — a finding typical of inflammatory bowel disease as well."
- Reduced diversity and altered composition of the gut microbiome in individuals with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome
Full free PDF online, Published June 2016
Short url = http://is.gd/fibrovitd
276786 visitors, last modified 19 Mar, 2017, URL:This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)Pain - chronic 103 Overviews 68
ID Name Comment Uploaded Size Downloads 6197 Fibro Easy.jpg admin 30 Nov, 2015 03:05 75.09 Kb 12374 5032 Beyond CFS - IOM Feb 2015.pdf PDF 2015 admin 10 Feb, 2015 19:16 589.27 Kb 991 4857 Pain level.jpg admin 11 Jan, 2015 15:47 49.55 Kb 12276 4856 Diganosis delay.jpg admin 11 Jan, 2015 14:38 58.53 Kb 12067 4462 Fibomyalgia.jpg admin 08 Oct, 2014 11:54 69.87 Kb 14861 4301 Overlap.jpg admin 20 Aug, 2014 12:04 61.41 Kb 22945 4300 Like me symptoms.jpg admin 20 Aug, 2014 11:58 30.29 Kb 13184 4299 Fibro survey comparison.jpg admin 20 Aug, 2014 11:17 45.43 Kb 15097 75 Patients Like Me Fibro.gif Patients Like Me CFS admin 10 Jun, 2010 02:44 28.17 Kb 7696
- Depression category