- Fact: A properly functioning liver is needed for the efficient activation of vitamin D in the body
- Fact: Liver diseases often result in lower levels of vitamin D
- Fact: Various pain relievers damage the liver function
- Fact: Lower levels of vitamin D result in osteoporosis and many other diseases
- Options with a poorly functioning liver appear to be:
- Increased vitamin D (example: 2X more vitamin D if Liver is 1/2 as efficient)
- Increase the response you get from vitamin D
- Increase sunshine / UVB,
- Get the response you get from the sun/UVB
- Consider supplementing with Iron - a patented Iron supplement appears to work very well
- Get prescription for active form of vitamin D (Calcitriol) which does not need the liver or kidney to get the benefits of vitamin D in the body
- Get Calcidiol which does not need the liver
See also VitaminDWiki
- All Liver items and Vitamin D
- Hepatitis C, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and vitamin D deficiency – Dec 2014 great summary tables
- Important interactions between the liver and vitamin D – May 2013 excellent, with lots of graphs and tables
- Advanced liver cirrhosis death 6.3X more likely if extremely low vitamin D – Jan 2013
- Vitamin C reduces liver inflammation, which improves vitamin D production – Dec 2014
- The worse the chronic liver disease, the lower the vitamin D level – Review Dec 2012
- Death due to liver problems was 4X more probable with low levels of vitamin D – May 2012
- Liver injury associated with low level of vitamin D – April 2011
- Alcoholics with low vitamin D get more bone fractures – Jan 2011
- Magnesium and vitamin D Alcohol uses up Magnesium, which is needed for bone strength
- Vitamin D intervention stopped bone loss in mice getting too much alcohol – Aug 2012
- Pharmacology of vitamin D - April 2011 many details on Calcidiol by Glossman
- Vitamin D Deficiency and Liver Disease – Aug 2010 Question and Answer format
- Calcidiol , which does not require hydroxylation by the liver can be taken in place of vitamin D
- Vitamin D3 becomes Calcidiol which becomes Calcitriol
- Calcidiol may be 5X more effective than Vitamin D3 – June 2012
- Search VitaminDWiki for Calcidiol 445 items Feb 2015
- Active form of vitamin D (Calcitriol) cut in half the fractures following organ transplant – meta-analysis Aug 2011
- Calcitriol is available by prescription only
- Google Site search for Calcitriol 1220 hits as of Feb 2015
- Oral vitamin D replacement is effective in chronic liver disease. – Aug 2010
- Just give more vitamin D if the liver is still somewhat functioning
- Overview Loading dose for vitamin D some people like to refill vitamin D levels quickly
- Loading doses should be appropriate for those with liver problems
- 25-Hydroxyvitamin D3 suppresses hepatitis C virus production – Oct 2012
- Hepatitis-C treatment greatly enhanced with 2000 IU of Vitamin D – RCT Dec 2011
- Graphs of diseases vs vitamin D levels - April 2011 has the following
Inflammatory diseases: review of vitamin D, with many tables – May 2014 which has a summary table
Most of the people with the diseases have less than 20 ng of vitamin D
See also Web
- More Than 90% of Patients of Cirrhosis Have Vitamin D Deficiency: A Cross-section Study June 2015
No abstract, publisher wants $30 for the PDF
- PubMed alcohol "vitamin d" Feb 2015 258 items – examples follow
Role of obesity , alcohol and smoking on bone health 2012
Association of 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels with liver dysfunction and mortality in chronic liver disease – 2012
die more quickly if so much alcohol then liver dysfunction and low vitamin D
Assessing bone status in patients awaiting liver transplantation – 2011 88% had low vitamin D levels
What People Recovering from Alcoholism Need to Know About Osteoporosis NIH
- Acetaminophen is involved in the most common cause of acute liver failure in adults Nov 2011 full text on-line
- High Risk Groups for Poor Vitamin Status includes Alcohol
- Alcohol and Other Factors Affecting Osteoporosis Risk in Women with bone photos - from 2003
- Vitamin D Council - Anemia
- Vitamin D Council - Chronic Liver Disease
- The liver also processes Vitamin K
- EHow:Vitamin D & Liver Function
- Vitamin D is not considered an essential vitamin for liver function, but liver function is essential to providing vitamin D to the body.
- Marked 25-hydroxyvitamin D deficiency is associated with poor prognosis in patients with alcoholic liver disease. April 2013
- Vitamin D deficiency in chronic liver disease Dec 2014
"Published studies provide evidence for routine screening for hypovitaminosis D in patients with liver disease"
- Adverse Effects of Vitamin D Deficiency on Outcomes of Patients With Chronic Hepatitis B. Oct 2014
1.9X more chronic hepatitis B events if low Vitamin D (publisher wants $30 for the PDF)
- 2800 IU of vitamin D did not help Cirrhotic Patients - RCT 2016 Nutrients Journal
No surprise, full text online
- Obese military conscripts were 2X as likely to have liver disease 30 years later NYT March 2017
Study of 1.2 million men Full Free PDF online
- Vitamin D deficiency in patients with liver cirrhosis - 2016
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
Chronic Liver Diseases might be treated by Vitamin D - Dec 2014
New insight of vitamin D in chronic liver diseases
Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int. 2014 Dec;13(6):580-5. PMID: 25475859
Chen EQ1, Shi Y, Tang H.
Although the exact role and mechanisms of vitamin D have not been fully elucidated in chronic liver diseases,
it is potentially beneficial in the treatment of chronic liver diseases.
Further mechanistic studies are needed to validate its clinical application.
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki.
Low vitamin D = 2X worse liver cancer prognosis
Severe 25-hydroxyvitamin D deficiency identifies a poor prognosis in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma - a prospective cohort study.
Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2014 May;39(10):1204-12. doi: 10.1111/apt.12731. Epub 2014 Mar 29.
Finkelmeier F1, Kronenberger B, Köberle V, Bojunga J, Zeuzem S, Trojan J, Piiper A, Waidmann O.
BACKGROUND: Vitamin D is involved in many biological processes. The role of vitamin D in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) remains inconclusive, although there is evolving evidence that vitamin D may modulate cancer development and progression.
AIM: To evaluate serum vitamin D as prognostic parameter in HCC, we performed a prospective cohort study.
METHODS: HCC patients were prospectively recruited and 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 (25(OH)D3 ) levels were determined. 25(OH)D3 levels were compared to stages of cirrhosis and HCC stages with nonparametric Kruskal-Wallis tests and Spearman correlations in 200 HCC patients. The association of the 25(OH)D3 levels and overall survival (OS) was assessed in uni- and multivariate Cox regression models.
RESULTS: Two-hundred patients with HCC were included. The mean follow-up time was 322 ± 342 days with a range of 1-1508 days. Nineteen patients underwent liver transplantation and 60 patients died within the observation time. The mean serum 25(OH)D3 concentration was 17 ± 13 ng/mL with a range of 1-72 ng/mL. 25(OH)D3 serum levels negatively correlated with the stage of cirrhosis as well as with stages of HCC. Patients with severe 25(OH)D3 deficiency had the highest mortality risk (hazard ratio 2.225, 95% confidence interval 1.331-3.719, P = 0.002). Furthermore, very low 25(OH)D3 levels were associated with mortality independently from the MELD score and high alpha-Fetoprotein levels (>400 ng/mL) in a multivariate Cox regression model.
CONCLUSIONS: We conclude that 25(OH)D3 deficiency is associated with advanced stages of hepatocellular carcinoma and it is a prognostic indicator for a poor outcome.
© 2014 John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
Commentary: vitamin D deficiency and liver cancer - cause, effect or myth? Authors' reply. [Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2014]
Commentary: vitamin D deficiency and liver cancer - cause, effect or myth? [Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2014]
Can rent PDF from publisher for $6This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)Liver
68 Overviews 68
ID Name Comment Uploaded Size Downloads 8118 Vitamin D deficiency in patients with liver cirrhosis.pdf PDF 2016 admin 21 Jun, 2017 16:45 649.52 Kb 154 5074 New insight of vitamin D in chronic liver diseases.pdf PDF 2014 admin 19 Feb, 2015 13:52 287.08 Kb 1521