- Vitamin D was voted best acne treatment Feb 2011 http://www.acne.org
- Topical Vitamin D appears help acne (oil, cream, or paste made from capsules)
- Putting vitamin D on an affected area for a few days often clears up acne
- An acne clinical trial with Vitamin D intervention is underway (More acne info below)
Learn how Vitamin D is essential for good health
Watch a 5 minute video "Does Less Sun Mean more Disease?"
Browse for other Health Problems and D in left column or here
see also Supplementing and More in the menu at the top of very page
Vitamin D is very good for the skin, acne
- Google Search of Eczema OR acne in VitaminDWiki 1990 items as of Jan 2015
- Psorasis and vitamin D
- Skin and vitamin D
- Vitamin A and and vitamin D
47 items Vitamin A in many acne drugs appears to hamper the benefits of Vitamin D
- Acne - Accutane - vitamin A - vitamin D and suicide - Nov 2010
- Report of increased suicides in patients taking Accutane to reduce acne (128 of 5,700)
- Asthma Eczema and Vitamin D - Council Newsletter Oct 2010
- 70% of some skin problems resolved with 50,000 IU vitamin D weekly – Jan 2011 = 7,000 IU daily
- Atopic dermatitis worse for those with low vitamin D – Nov 2010 a type of eczema
- Autoimmune category listing with associated searches - including many skin disorders
Web also shows popularity of vitamin D for the skin, acne
- Google Search for acne "vitamin d" >890,000 hits Oct 2015
- "healthy skin" "vitamin d" >894,000 hits as of Jan 2015
- psoriasis "vitamin d >803,000 hits Jan 2015
Study found no improvement in chronic eczema with 2,000 IU of vitamin D for 3 months
Serum Vitamin D levels and Vitamin D supplementation do not correlate with the severity of chronic eczema in children March 2015
Results"Vitamin D concentrations in patients with moderate and severe eczema were not statistically different from Vitamin D concentration detected in the serum of patients with mild eczema. Furthermore, we did not find any correlation between Vitamin D levels, total IgEs and SCORAD index, both in the Sensitized and in the Not-Sensitized group. The Vitamin D3 supplementation did not influence the SCORAD severity or the total IgEs concentration."
VitaminDWiki wonders why. Perhaps because they did not use topical vitamin D?
Vitamin D levels do not matter with Eczema until about age 4 - Dec 2015
Associations of maternal and fetal 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels with childhood eczema. The Generation R Study.
Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2015 Dec 19. doi: 10.1111/pai.12530. [Epub ahead of print]
Gazibara T1,2,3,4, Elbert NJ1,5, den Dekker HT1,2,3, de Jongste JC2, Reiss I6, McGrath JJ7,8, Eyles DW7,8, Burne TH7,8, Tiemeier H3,9,10, Jaddoe VW1,3,11, Pasmans SG5, Duijts L2,3,6.
Exposure to low levels of vitamin D in fetal life might affect the developing immune system, and subsequently the risk of childhood eczema. We examined whether 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels in mid-gestation and at birth were associated with the risk of eczema until the age of 4 years.
In a population-based prospective cohort study of 3,019 mothers and their children, maternal blood samples in mid-gestation and umbilical cord blood samples at birth were used to determine 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels (severely deficient <25.0 nmol/L, deficient 25.0-49.9 nmol/L, sufficient 50.0-74.9 nmol/L, optimal ≥75.0 nmol/L). Eczema was prospectively assessed by annual questionnaires until the age of 4 years. Eczema patterns included never, early (age ≤1 year only), late (age >1 year only), and persistent eczema (age ≤ and >1 year). Data were assessed using generalized estimating equations and multinomial regression models.
Compared with the optimal 25-hydroxyvitamin D group, sufficient, deficient and severely deficient groups of 25-hydroxyvitamin D level in mid-gestation were not associated with the risk of overall eczema (odds ratios (95%confidence interval): 1.09 (0.82, 1.43), 1.04 (0.87, 1.25) and 0.94 (0.81, 1.10), p-values for trend >0.05), nor with eczema per year or eczema patterns in children up to the age of 4 years. Similarly, we observed no associations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D groups at birth with any eczema outcome.
Our results suggest that levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D in mid-gestation and at birth are not associated with the risk of overall eczema, eczema per year or eczema patterns among children until the age of 4 years
- Skin and vitamin D