Omega-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids in Prevention of Mood and Anxiety Disorders.
Clin Psychopharmacol Neurosci. 2015 Aug 31;13(2):129-37. doi: 10.9758/cpn.2015.13.2.129.
Su KP1,2, Matsuoka Y3, Pae CU4.
Psychiatric disorders in general, and major depression and anxiety disorders in particular, account for a large burden of disability, morbidity and premature mortality worldwide. Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) have a range of neurobiological activities in modulation of neurotransmitters, anti-inflammation, anti-oxidation and neuroplasticity, which could contribute to psychotropic effects. Here we reviewed recent research on the benefits of omega-3 PUFA supplements in prevention against major depression, bipolar disorders, interferon-α-induced depression patients with chronic hepatitis C viral infection, and posttraumatic stress disorder. The biological mechanisms underlying omega-3 PUFAs'psychotropic effects are proposed and reviewed. Nutrition is a modifiable environmental factor that might be important in prevention medicine, which have been applied for many years in the secondary prevention of heart disease with omega-3 PUFAs. This review extends the notion that nutrition in psychiatry is a modifiable environmental factor and calls for more researches on prospective clinical studies to justify the preventive application of omega-3 PUFAs in daily practice.
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
Studies have found Omega-3 and Vitamin D both associated with reduced PTSD and mood disorders
Would be nice to have an intervention study using both of them
See also VitaminDWiki
- I use Vectomega brand of Omega-3 – Admin of VitaminDWiki, May 2014
Clinical trial found it to be far more potent than other Omega-3 products
- Hypothesis: Some Mental Illness could be treated or prevented with vitamin D
- Overview: Omega-3 many benefits include helping vitamin D
- Concussions (traumatic brain injury) getting big press coverage, vitamin D might be both a cause and a solution
- Omega-3, Vitamin D, and other nutrients decrease mental health problems – March 2015
Contains a huge list of Omega-3 and mental health studies
- Mild Traumatic Brain Injury reduced by Vitamin D – May 2014
- Search VitaminDWiki for PTSD 69 items as of Aug 2017