High-Dose Intramuscular Vitamin D Provides Long-Lasting Moderate Increases in Serum 25-Hydroxvitamin D Levels and Shorter-Term Changes in Plasma Calcium.
J AOAC Int. 2017 Sep 1;100(5):1337-1344. doi: 10.5740/jaoacint.17-0087. Epub 2017 May 11.
Gorman S1, Zafirau MZ2, Lim EM3, Clarke MW4, Dhamrait G1, Fleury N1, Walsh JP5, Kaufmann M6, Jones G6, Lucas RM7.
Vitamin D injections last much longer than oral loading dose, but ramp up slowly.
Wonder if a oral loading dose followed by injection would provide fast response and last a long time?
- Injection category listing has
34 items along with related searches
- Megadose injection of up to 600,000 IU vitamin D3 every three months for adolescents - April 2010
- Review of Vitamin D (including free, frequency, injection, how much.) – Sept 2013
- Childhood asthma problems eliminated for months by 600,000 IU of Vitamin D – June 2017
- Better outcome following Ischemic stroke if injected with 600,000 IU of vitamin D – RCT Feb 2017
- Vitamin D injection helped migrants a bit, but some had poor or even negative responses – Dec 2017
Overview Loading of vitamin D contains the following
If a person is, or is suspected to be, very vitamin D deficient a loading dose is typically given
- Loading = repletion = quick replacement (previously known as Stoss)
- Loading doses range in size from 100,000 IU to 1,000,000 IU of Vitamin D3
- The size of the loading dose is a function of body weight - see below
Unfortunately, some doctors persist in using Vitamin D2 instead of D3
- Loading may be done as quickly as a single day, to as slowly as 3 months.
It appears that spreading the loading dose over 4-20 days is a good compromise
- Loading is typically oral, but sometimes by injection (I.M,)
- The loading dose persists in the body for about 3 months
The loading dose should be followed up with continuing maintenance
Unfortunately, many doctors fail to follow-up with the maintenance dosing.
- As about 1 in 300 people have some form of mild allergic reaction to vitamin D supplements,
it appears prudent to test with a small amount of vitamin D before giving a loading dose
- The causes of a mild allergic reaction appear to be: (in order of occurance)
1) lack of magnesium - which can be easily added
2) allergy to capsule contents - oil, additives (powder does not appear to cause any reaction)
3) allergy to the tiny amount of D3 itself (allergy to wool) ( alternate: D3 made from plants )
10 people - variety of ages, all with 1 or more health problems
The best management of vitamin D deficiency, defined as a 25-hydroxyvitamin D [(25(OH)D] level <50 nM, is unclear. Intramuscular (IM) injection of a large bolus of vitamin D (≥100 000 IU) is used, but its safety is uncertain. In 10 adults given an IM injection of 600 000IU vitamin D3, we measured at baseline and at 1, 2, 3, and 4 weeks postinjection the serum levels of vitamin D3, 25(OH)D3, 25(OH)D2, total 25(OH)D, 3-epi-25(OH)D3, and 24,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 [24,25(OH)2D3] using a standardized LC with tandem MS (MS/MS) assay; serum levels of 25(OH)D using the Abbott ARCHITECT i2000 immunoassay; and markers of bone metabolism. Bone markers and 25(OH)D (immunoassay) were remeasured at 24 weeks. All participants had baseline total 25(OH)D levels >50 nM. Serum 25(OH)D levels increased at 3, 4, and 24 weeks postinjection, peaking at 4 weeks [mean ± SEM of 126 ± 7.9 nM (immunoassay) and 100 ± 5.5 nM (LC-MS/MS)] but generally remained <125 nM, the upper limit recommended by the U.S. Institute of Medicine. Serum 24,25(OH)2D3 levels increased at 3 and 4 weeks postinjection. Serum ionized calcium levels were higher than baseline at 1, 3, and 4 weeks postinjection but remained within the clinically normal range. Other biochemical parameters, including other vitamin D metabolites, plasma alkaline phosphatase, and parathyroid hormone levels, were unchanged. IM injection of a large bolus of vitamin D effectively increases serum 25(OH)D levels without evidence of metabolic abnormality.
PMID: 28492140 DOI: 10.5740/jaoacint.17-0087
331 visitors, last modified 19 Jan, 2018, URL:This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)Loading dose for Vitamin D 109 Injection 34
ID Name Comment Uploaded Size Downloads 9056 600,000 PTH.jpg admin 29 Dec, 2017 12:48 38.83 Kb 118 9055 600,000 response.jpg admin 29 Dec, 2017 12:47 31.77 Kb 173 9054 600,000 participants.jpg admin 29 Dec, 2017 12:47 42.23 Kb 126 9053 response to injection of 600,000 IU.pdf PDF 2017 admin 29 Dec, 2017 12:46 3.30 Mb 24