22,157 Australian adults hospitalized with a TIA from July 1, 2000, to June 30, 2007,
At 10 years after TIA the death rate was about 2X higher than those of same age, etc.
The researchers found that other diagnoses compounded TIA survivors' risk of dying.
Congestive heart failure more than tripled it. = 6X
Prior hospitalization for stroke more than doubled it, = 4X
while a type of irregular heart rhythm called atrial fibrillation doubled it. = 4X
As of Nov 2011 no apparent studies of TIA and Vitamin D
- Vitamin D to prevent the TIA
- Vitamin D to treat the TIA
However, note from: Transient Ischemic Attack NIH
The most important treatable factors linked to TIAs and stroke are:
- high blood pressure, cigarette smoking, heart disease, carotid artery disease, diabetes, and heavy use of alcohol.
- ALL of which either cause or are related to low levels of vitamin D
See also VitaminDWiki
- Overview Stroke and vitamin D
- All items in category Stroke
- Heart disease, stroke, ...all linked to insufficient vitamin D levels LEF 2009 75% more likely to have a stroke
- Death within 2 years of surviving an ischemic stroke 10X less likely if high vitamin D – July 2017
- Stroke 74% less likely if high vitamin D (7,295 women 20-50 years old) – July 2017
- Risk of Ischemic Stroke doubles if take more than 1 gram of Calcium daily for years – May 2017
- Calcium without vitamin D increased heart risk by 30 percent - Jan 2011 and stroke by 20%
- All items in Surgery and Trauma
179 items 2847 visitors, last modified 13 Aug, 2017, URL: