Trial of vitamin D supplementation to prevent asthma exacerbation in children
Int. J of Research in Medical Science, Vol 5, No 6 (2017),
Elango Krishnan, Venmugil Ponnusamy, Sathiya Priya Sekar
Loading: intramuscular vitamin D injection 300,000-600,000 IU over 1-5 days
Maintenance: oral vitamin D 600 IU + calcium (30-70 mg/kg/day) for 3 months
57% 5-8 years, 23% 9-10 years, 20% 11-12 years
- This was not a randomized controlled trial (RCT) - all of the children with asthma got the Vitamin D
- Since it was not a RCT it will not probably be be included in any meta-analyses of Asthma and Vitamin D
- Maintenance Dose: strangely it was too small and not proportional to body weight - as the calcium dose was
- Injection is nice, but not essential
- Overview Asthma and Vitamin D
- Childhood asthma still reduced 4 months after 800 IU of Vitamin D daily - RCT Feb 2016
- Vitamin D supplements could halve risk of serious asthma attacks – Cochrane conclusion – Sept 2016
- Asthma reduced 60 percent with vitamin D supplementation – meta-analysis 2014, 2015
- Asthma is treated by Vitamin D – now they are trying to understand why – Feb 2015
- Search VitaminDWiki for ASTHMA in title 116 items as of June 2017
- If high vitamin D during pregnancy the child is 5X less likely to get asthma
- Injection category listing has
24 items along with related searches
Decreased Emergency room visits
Decreased hospital visits
Decreased need for reliever inhalent
82% < 2 days per week 3 months after stop of daily vitamin D
Background: To assess the level of vitamin D in children with bronchial asthma and to study the effects of vitamin D supplementation in asthmatic children who had vitamin D deficiency in terms of asthma control test score and Number of exacerbations.
Methods: This interventional study was conducted in Department of Paediatrics, KAPV Government medical college, Trichy, Tamil Nadu, India from September 2016 to February 2017. 96 asthmatic children of age group 5-12 years who attended outpatient department and admitted in ward for asthma exacerbation were selected. After assessing their Vitamin D level, Vitamin D supplementation given along with standard treatment for asthma. Outcomes measured were ACTS (Asthma control test score), number of emergency room visits, number of hospital admissions and reliever medication use.
Results: Out of 96 children, 83 (86.4%) children had vitamin D deficiency. There was significant correlation between vitamin D level and absolute eosinophil count (p-value-0.037), asthma severity (p-value<0.001) and asthma control (p-value<0.001). Significant reduction in emergency room visits, (p-value<0.001) reliever medication use (p-value<0.001) and improvement in asthma control test score (p-value-0.008) occurs after vitamin D supplementation.
Conclusions: There is a significant correlation between vitamin D level, asthma severity and its control. Asthma exacerbation in terms of emergency room visits and reliever medication use were further reduced by vitamin D supplementation.
- Pal R, Dahal S, Pal S. Prevalence of bronchial asthma in Indian children. Indian J Comm Med. 2009;34(4):310.
- Sukumaran TU. Management of childhood bronchial asthma. Second edition. India: Jaypee brothers; 2014.
- Lodha R, Puranik M, Kattal N, Kabra SK. Social and economic impact of childhood asthma. Indian Pediatr. 2003;40:874-9.
- Balasubramanian S, Dhanalakshmi K, Amperayani S. Vitamin D deficiency in childhood- A review of current guidelines on diagnosis and management. Indian Pediatr. 2013;50(7):669-75.
- Bener A, Ehlayel MS, Tulic MK, Hamid Q. Vitamin D deficiency as a strong predictor of asthma in children. Int Arch Allerg Immunol. 2012;157(2):168-75.
- Brehm JM, Schuemann B, Fuhlbrigge AL, Hollis BW, Strunk RC, Zeiger RS, et al. Serum vitamin D levels and severe asthma exacerbations in the Childhood Asthma Management Program study. J Allerg Clin Immunol. 2010;126(1):52-8.
- Gupta A, Sjoukes A, Richards D, Banya W, Hawrylowicz C, Bush A, et al. Relationship between serum vitamin D, disease severity, and airway remodelling in children with asthma. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2011;184(12):1342-9.
- Brehm JM, Celedón JC, Soto-Quiros ME, Avila L, Hunninghake GM, Forno E, et al. Serum vitamin D levels and markers of severity of childhood asthma in Costa Rica. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2009 May 1;179(9):765-71.
- Urashima M, Segawa T, Okazaki M, Kurihara M, Wada Y, Ida H. Randomized trial of vitamin D supplementation to prevent seasonal influenza A in schoolchildren. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010;91(5):1255-60.
- Majak P, Olszowiec-Chlebna M, Smejda K, Stelmach I. Vitamin D supplementation in children may prevent asthma exacerbation triggered by acute respiratory infection. J Allerg Clin Immunol. 2011;127(5):1294-6.
- Mishra D, Singh HP. Kuppuswamy’s socioeconomic status scale- a revision. Indian J Pediatr. 2003;70(3):273-4.
- Chhabra SK, Gupta CK, Chhabra P, Pal SR. Prevalence of bronchial asthma in schoolchildren in Delhi. J Asthma. 1998;35(3):291-6.
- Goh DY, Chew FT, Quek SC, Lee BW. Prevalence and severity of asthma, rhinitis, and eczema in Singapore schoolchildren. Arch Dis Childhood. 1996;74(2):131-5.
- Chhabra SK, Gupta CK, Chhabra P, Rajpal S. Risk factors for development of Bronchial asthma in children in Delhi. Ann Allerg Asthma Immunol.1999;83(5):385-90.
164 visitors, last modified 01 Jun, 2017, URL:This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)Breathing 277 Intervention 398 Top news 603 Infant-Child 347 Injection 24
ID Name Comment Uploaded Size Downloads 8052 Ashtma reliever.jpg admin 01 Jun, 2017 15:50 35.98 Kb 59 8051 Asthma Hospital.jpg admin 01 Jun, 2017 15:50 35.78 Kb 62 8050 Asthma ER.jpg admin 01 Jun, 2017 15:50 35.82 Kb 140 8049 Treat asthma.pdf PDF 2017 admin 01 Jun, 2017 15:27 351.08 Kb 13