If a health problem has more than 5 of the following factors,
then I believe that vitamin D deficiency might be a cause
- Big worldwide problem which has increased in the past 40 years
- Problem occurs around the world
- Occurs more often when Far from Equator - but this factor has been decreasing during the past 20-30 years
people can stay indoors, 'thanks' to air conditioning
- Season - problem is worse in Spring when the vitamin D in the blood is the lowest
Can now also happen in the Summer in the tropics if you can afford the air conditioning to stay away from the hot sun.
- Overweight - fat ties up a lot of vitamin D and the obese often do not feel comfortable out of doors
- Smoking - ties up vitamin D
- Medical problems which reduce vitamin D - MS, kidney, gut, liver, kidney...
- Dark skin - who get about 1/4 the amount of vitamin D per minute in the sun as those with light skin
- Seniors - who also get about 1/4 of the vitamin D per minute as those with dark skins - for a different reason
- Atmospheric haze - which reduces the UVB getting to the people - typically in cities
- Problem gets worse when taking a drug which reduces vitamin D
- A Patent has been issued for Vitamin D to treat or prevent the health problem
such as: Breast and many other cancers, Obesity, Bone loss, Prostate, Fall prevention, stroke and other Cardiovascular, Immune system, heal wounds and reduce scars, Kidney disease, Diabetes, improve fertility, decrease pregnancy problems, (SAD), multiple sclerosis, chemoprevention of cancer, accelerate fracture healing, metabolic syndrome, periodontitis, gingivitis, endometreosis, hair loss, asthma, allergy, etc.
- Clinical trials are underway - especially if the clinical trials are at the intervention stage
- Strongly associated with a vitamin D related disease
The following chart shows the current associations
Possible interactions and vicious circles