Diabetes appears to be due to a lack of vitamin D
- Diabetes is 5X more frequent far from the equator
- Children getting 2,000 IU of vitamin D are 8X less likely to get Type 1 diabetes
- Obese people get less sun / Vitamin D - and also vitamin D gets lost in fat
- Sedentary people get less sun / Vitamin D
- Worldwide Diabetes increase has been concurrent with vitamin D decrease and air conditioning
- Elderly get 4X less vitamin D from the same amount of sun
Elderly also spend less time outdoors and have more clothes on
Vitamin D appears to both prevent and treat diabetes
- Appears that >2,000 IU will PREVENT
- Appears that >4,000 IU will TREAT , but not cure
- Appears that Calcium and Magnesium are needed for both PREVENTION and TREATMENT
which are just some of the vitamin D cofactors
Table of contents
- See Diabetes items in VitaminDWiki
- See Type 1 Diabetes in VitaminDWiki
- See also VitaminDWiki and TREATMENT
- See also VitaminDWiki and Metabolic Syndrome
- See also VitaminDWiki Calcium
- From Hypponen - 7X less diabetes for children taking 2,000 IU of vitamin D
- Increasing diabetes from CDC Diabetes Report Card 2012
- Percentage change in age-adjusted prevalence of diagnosed diabetes among adults aged ?18 years Nov 2012
- See also web
- Vitamin D Council
See Diabetes items in VitaminDWiki
- All items in Diabetes and Vitamin D 236 items: both Type 1 and Type 2
- Diabetes 10X less frequent among people getting lots of vitamin D - Aug 2013
- 4 percent less type 2 diabetes for every 4 ng more vitamin D – meta-analysis May 2013
- Diabetes prevention RCT kicked off: adding 4,000 IU vitamin D - Oct 2013
- Role of vitamin D in insulin resistance – Sept 2012
- Probability of T2 diabetes increased almost 3X with smoking and low vitamin D – Oct 2010
- T2 diabetes and vitamin D – review Jan 2012
- Reduced chance of diabetes 46 % with Magnesium - Oct 2010 no mention of vitamin D
- Diabetics have problems with low Magnesium , especially if taking statins – Aug 2013
- Possible reasons that vitamin D deals with diabetes – Aug 2010
- Normailizing vitamin D levels reduced prediabetic measure by 18 percent – RCT Oct 2012
- Prediabetes progression to diabetes 25 percent less for every 4 ng increase in vitamin D – April 2012
- CDC confirms association between more vitamin D and less insulin – Jan 2011
- Diabetes risk reduced 24 % for every 10 ng increase in vitamin D – Mar 2011
- 25 % reduction in diabetes risk if vitamin D great than 30 ng - June 2011
- Data suggested 54 % reduction in Diabetes risk when vitamin D levels were > 50 ng/ml
- 90 % of Dark Skinned diabetics had less than 30 ng of vitamin D – July 2011
- 25 ng Vitamin D reduced chance of diabetes by 43 percent -review July 2011
- Diabetes down 13 % if more than 500 IU of vitamin D – meta-analysis July 2011
- Diabetes rising quickly in areas with recent air conditioning – June 2011
- Low vitamin D associated with obesity-related diseases for ethnic minorities – Sept 2011
- Diabetics with darker skin were more vitamin D deficient – May 2012
For ethnic minorities this study has found that low vitamin D==> diabetes etc
rather than the conventional hypothesis: low vitamin D ==> obesity ==> diabetes etc
- 12700 IU daily vitamin D3 did not stop prediabetic minorities from becoming diabetic – June 2012
- Vitamin D level higher than 30 ng reduces diabetic blood clotting – Nov 2012
- Scientific explanation of vitamin D relationship to insulin resistance– Dec 2012
- Type 2 diabetes 1.5X more likely if low vs high vitamin D – meta-analysis Feb 2013
Complex analysis found that people with vitamin D levels >36 ng did not have insulin resistance - PDF is attached at the bottom of this page
- 3X increase Diabetes if low vitamin D AND Arsenic in urine – May 2013
- Mice designed to get diabetes often failed to get diabetes if they had lots of vitamin D during their lives – Feb 2014
See Type 1 Diabetes in VitaminDWiki
- Overview Diabetes and vitamin D
- Probability of Type I diabetes reduced 29 percent with vitamin D – systematic review July 2012
- Type 1 diabetes is increasing, vitamin D deficiency may be one of the reasons – Aug 2013
- Type 1 diabetes associated with faulty Vitamin D receptor genes – May 2013
- Type 1 Diabetes probability reduced by 2X if have more than 40 ng of vitamin D – Feb 2013
- Like their diabetic mothers, infants had low vitamin D and were slightly diabetic – May 2012
- 44 percent less Type 1 diabetes if high level of vitamin D – white skinned military – March 2013
- Type 1 diabetes strongly associated with low vitamin D – March 2013
- Type 1 Diabetes associated with low vitamin D, especially in dark skinned youths – Dec 2012
- Type 1 diabetes patients may be pissing away vitamin D – Jan 2011
- This may be a reason that more vitamin D is needed for TREATMENT of diabetes
- T1 Diabetes increased about 15 percent per decade in Eastern Canada – Oct 2012
See also VitaminDWiki and TREATMENT
- Can Vitamin D TREAT Diabetes - many articles TREAT, not just prevent
- Diabetes in women improved with just 2,000 IU of vitamin D – July 2012
Note: women, but not men, were helped with 2,000 IU
- Type 2 diabetes treated by 30 ng of vitamin D – Feb 2011
- Overview of Vitamin D and Insulin – 2010 good summary tables
- Diabetes increases probability of bone fracture
- 4000 IU vitamin D not enough to treat diabetes in overweight blacks in 3 months – May 2012
- Diabetic Neuropathy sometimes can be reversed by vitamin D
See also VitaminDWiki and Metabolic Syndrome
- Metabolic Syndrome adults 4X more likely to have less than 20 ng of vitamin D – Jan 2011
- Metabolic Syndrome and vitamin D - view of many papers Aug 2010
- People with metabolic syndrome were 3X more likely to have low vitamin D – Nov 2010
- 70 % increased chance of metabolic syndrome if low on vitamin D – May 2011
- Metabolic syndrome 50 % more likely if under 20 ng of vitamin D – May 2011
- All items in category Metabolic Syndrome and Vitamin D 35 items
- Is Osteoarthritis a metabolic syndrome – June 2010
See also VitaminDWiki Calcium
- Less Diabetes if have enough Calcium and Vitamin D (file)
- Vitamin D with or without Calcium helped glycemic status – Feb 2011
- Metabolic Syndrome reduced 2X after one year of more sunlight – Nov 2011
- Deficiencies of Vitamin D and Calcium – Related Chronic Diseases – 2009
- Good evidence for Diabetes
- Is the Institute of Medicine Report on Calcium and Vitamin D Good Science - Jan 2011
- Strength of evidence for Calcium at NLM – Oct 2010
- Insufficient evidence to rate effectiveness of Calcium for Diabetes. .
From Hypponen - 7X less diabetes for children taking 2,000 IU of vitamin D
CLICK HERE for details
Increasing diabetes from CDC Diabetes Report Card 2012
(attached at bottom of this page)
- perhaps associated with decreasing vitamin D, even though the word vitamin does not occur once in the CDC publication
It is amazing that there are so many trials trying to confirm that vitamin D intervention can prevent/treat diabetes,
yet the CDC does not have a single word on Vitamin D in their report card.
Percentage change in age-adjusted prevalence of diagnosed diabetes among adults aged ?18 years Nov 2012
The figure above shows the percent change in age-adjusted prevalence of diagnosed diabetes among adults aged ?18 years in the United States, during 1995-2010. During 1995-2010, the relative increase in age-adjusted prevalence of diabetes ranged from 8.5% in Puerto Rico to >225% in Oklahoma, with an overall median increase of 82.2%.
The age-adjusted prevalence increased by ?50% in 42 states and by ?100% in 18 states.
States in the South had the largest relative increase in prevalence, with the age-adjusted median increasing >100%.
See also web
- Clinical Trials for Diabetes and Vitamin D 178 trials as of Aug 2013
- INTERVENTION Clinical Trials for Diabetes and Vitamin D 150 trials as of Feb 2014
- INTERVENTION Clinical Trials for Type 1 Diabetes and Vitamin D 55 trials as of Aug 2013
- Type 2 Diabetes in Youth: Bad Disease, Big Challenge for Primary Care March 2014
Deaths in the T2DM happen much sooner and 2X more often than for T1DM
- Disease Database has lots of Diabetes information Type I Type II
- International Patent granted In early 2011 for treating Type I diabetes with Vitamin D
- HealthScanBlog Diabetes growing faster than Cancer, Heart Disease, etc.
- A user comment: Type 2 diabetic adults show 40% entero-virus infection; the general non-diabetic rate is 13% infected.
- prevalence of diabetes has risen or at best remained unchanged in virtually every part of the world over the last three decades via Lancet, June 2011
had been 8.3 per cent of men, 9.8 per cent of men = 350 million in 2008
biggest rise appears to be those tropical areas which have gotten air conditioning
- Google Search for diabetes (treatment OR cure) "vitamin d" >8,500,000 hits June 2012
- Diabetics at higher risk of tuberculosis infection - May 2011 no surprise, since both are low on vitamin D
- Natural Health 365 on Pre-diabetes July 2012
pre-diabetes = fasting level between 100 and 125mg/dl.
pre-diabetics have a 50 percent higher risk for developing heart disease and stroke vs. non-diabetics.
79 million of US adults have pre-diabetes = 39% increase from 2008.
- CDC Diabetes Statistics for 2011
25.8 million US = 8% have diabetes, Diagnosed: 18.8 million, Undiagnosed: 7.0 million
Age 65 years or older: 10.9 million, or 27%
- CDC Pre-diabetes
1 of every 3 U.S. adults had prediabetes in 2010
If you have prediabetes, you are 5 to15 times more likely to develop type 2 diabetes
- Diabetes 32X more likely if obese and vitamin D deficient – July 2012
Based on NHANES data of 5800 people
Obese & high level of vitamin D: 20X more likely to have diabetes than the study population
- Diet and Exercise RCT did not reduce cardiovascular incidents - 11 year trial stopped NYT Oct 2012
5,000 people overweight/obese type II diabetics
randomly assigned to low calorie diet and 175 minutes of light exercise weekly or not
No mention of vitamin D
- Vitamin D and type 2 diabetes mellitus Dec 2012
we conclude that routine measurement of vitamin D level in every patient or initiating high-dose supplementation for the purpose of preventing or treating T2DM is not evidence based.
Suspect that they did not consider high enough levels of vitamin D - PDF is behind a paywall
- The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food Mercola March 2013
22.3 million in US have diabetes in 2012, up from 17.5 million in 2007:.American Diabetes Association March 6, 2013
79 million in US also now have pre-diabetes.
Medical expenditures for people with diabetes are 2.3 times higher than for those without diabetes.
- 2X increase in all cause mortality with insulin monotherapy for type II Diabetes Natural News, March 2013
based on The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism Feb 2013
Compared metformin monotherapy, sulfonylurea monotherapy, insulin monotherapy, metformin plus sulfonylurea combination therapy, and insulin plus metformin combination therapy.
- Diabetes Infographic Sept 2013 (nothing about vitamin D)
- Prevalence of vitamin D deficiency in pre-type 1 diabetes and its association with disease progression Feb 2014
Prediabetes is defined as the presence of multiple islet autoantibodies. If and when the disease progresses, however, does not seem to be influenced by the vitamin D levels. Within the group of children with positive autoantibodies, a few children quickly developed type 1 diabetes - however this was independent from their vitamin D levels.
- Relations of vitamin D status, gender and type 2 diabetes in middle-aged Caucasians May 2014
women with < 15 ng/ml were 3X more likely to get or have T2DM
Vitamin D Council
Children with type II diabetes Vitamin D Council Aug 2012
Children with T2 were 3X more likely to be vitamin D deficient than children with T1
Note: only 3,700 children in US are newly diagnosed with with T2 annually
Type II Vitamin D Council, July 2013
Type I diabetes Vitamin D Council Feb 2014
One of their Patient-Friendly guides. Summary points, 7 recent references
- Research has shown that babies with high vitamin D intake during their first year of life are less likely to develop T1D later in life.
- Research has shown that pregnant mothers with high vitamin D levels during pregnancy are less likely to have children that get T1D later in life.
However, this research is less strong compared to vitamin D intake during early childhood and infancy.
- Some research has shown that vitamin D may help improve insulin sensitivity and help manage blood glucose in those with T1D, though we can’t say for sure if vitamin D helps at all in T1D.
- The majority of studies that have been done so far have been observational meaning we cannot say for sure if vitamin D is a main factor in the prevention or treatment of T1D.
- More experiments are needed to clearly answer whether vitamin D supplementation can prevent or treat T1D.