Highlights of the paper from Vitamin D Council
which is behind a paywall
- 80 infants: 40 got 1000 IU of vitamin D daily, 40 got no vitamin D
- % of blood normally emptied from heart 55-60
- % of blood emptied by infants with poor function 30% at beginning of study
- % of blood emptied by vitamin D infants at the end of the vitamin D arm of the RCT 52% (virtually normal)
Also: inflammation stopped in the infants getting vitamin D
- % of blood emptied by other infants 43%
Vitamin D Supplementation in Infants With Chronic Congestive Heart Failure.
Pediatr Cardiol. 2012 Feb 18.
Pediatrics Department, Zagazig University, Zagazig, Sharkia Governorate, Egypt, soadshedeed at gmail.com.
Increased circulating proinflammatory cytokines may contribute to the pathogenesis of congestive heart failure (CHF). In vitro studies have suggested that vitamin D suppresses proinflammatory cytokines and increases anti-inflammatory cytokines. The aim of this work was to evaluate the effect of vitamin D supplementation on renin-angiotensin system cytokines as well as different clinical, biochemical, and echocardiographic variables in infants with chronic CHF.
This was a double-blind, placebo-controlled intervention study and included 80 infants with CHF.
The intervention consisted of either giving Vitamin D(3) oral drops (group I) or placebo oral drops (group II).
In both study groups, baseline 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] concentrations were below the lower end of the reference range.
After 12 weeks of intervention, vitamin D supplementation for group I infants caused significant improvement of HF score, left-ventricular (LV) end-diastolic diameter, LV end-systolic diameter, LV ejection fraction%, and myocardial performance index together with markedly increased serum 25(OH)D and interleukin (IL)-10 and decreased PTH, IL-6, and TNF-? compared with the placebo group; these differences were statistically significant (p < 0.001).
Vitamin D supplementation has great benefits as an anti-inflammatory agent in infants with CHF.
It helps acceleration of the clinical improvement and cytokine profile balance.
Would have been better if did not have CHF in the first place if had plenty of vitamin D before, during, and after pregnancy
See also VitaminDWiki
- All items in category Infant-Child and Vitamin D 282 items
- All items in category Invervention with Vitamin D 296 items
- Babies Receive Heart Transplants Instead of Vitamin D Treatment
- Vitamin D: Before, During, and After Pregnancy
- All items in Cardiovascular and Vitamin D 295 items
- Overview Cardiovascular and vitamin D
- When will it become a crime to fail to recommend or provide vitamin D? soon?
- Search VitaiminDWiki for "Congestive heart failure" 192 items as of Feb 2014
- Congestive Heart Failure patients helped with Vitamin D intervention – May 2013
7,100 IU daily average while loading, followed by 1,700 IU average for 2 months
- Chronic Heart Failure not treated by Vitamin D, if dose size is ignored – meta-analysis Oct 2015