Ecological Studies of the UVB–Vitamin D–Cancer Hypothesis
Anticancer Research January 2012 vol. 32 no. 1 223-236
WILLIAM B. GRANT, Sunlight, Nutrition, and Health Research Center, P.O. Box 641603, San Francisco, CA 94164-1603, U.S.A. wbgrant at infionline.net
Background/Aim: This paper reviews ecological studies of the ultraviolet-B (UVB)–vitamin D–cancer hypothesis based on geographical variation of cancer incidence and/or mortality rates.
Materials and Methods: The review is based largely on three ecological studies of cancer rates from the United States; one each from Australia, China, France, Japan, and Spain; and eight multicountry, multifactorial studies of cancer incidence rates from more than 100 countries.
This review consistently found strong inverse correlations with solar UVB for 15 types of cancer:
- renal, and
- vulvar cancer; and
- Hodgkin's and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
Weaker evidence exists for nine other types of cancer:
brain, gallbladder, laryngeal, oral/pharyngeal, prostate, and thyroid cancer; leukemia; melanoma; and multiple myeloma.
Conclusion: The evidence for the UVB–vitamin D–cancer hypothesis is very strong in general and for many types of cancer in particular.
- - - - - - - - - - -
See also VitaminDWiki
- Solar UVB reduces Cancer Risk – Grant, Jan 2013
- All items in category Cancer and vitamin D 145 items
- Review of possible ways that vitamin D fights cancer – Jan 2012
- Overview of Cancer and Vitamin D
- Mechanisms of the Anti-Cancer and Anti-Inflammatory - 2011.PDF
- Cancers and Vitamin D Council and Dr. Grant (same author)
- Vitamin D and Cancer Treatment and Prevention – presentations May 2011
- China has documented that less UV results in more cancer – June 2010 - esophagus, stomach, colon and rectum, liver, lung, breast, and bladder
- Brain cancer in 175 countries related to low UVB and low vitamin D – Oct 2010
Stronger correlation for women than for men
- UV decreased breast cancer risk by up to 2X – June 2011
- Cloudiness and Breast Cancer PDF file
- Breast Cancer vs latitude Gapminder - Great U shaped curve
- Need lots of UV AND vitamin D to reduce risk of breast cancer – Jan 2011
- Breast cancer more deadly for blacks than whites
- A review of the evidence regarding the solar ultraviolet-B-vitamin D-cancer hypothesis - Oct 2012
- Lack of solar UVB in US is associated with some Cancers - 2006
Strong Evidence: bladder, colon, Hodgkin lymphoma, myeloma, other biliary, prostate, rectum, stomach, uterus, and vulva.
Weaker Evidence: breast, kidney, leukemia, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, pancreas, and small intestine.
Has a great map of UV for the US
Perhaps UV Fluctuations are more important than the UV absolute level
CLICK HERE for more information
See also VitaminDWiki - MS
- MS is related to latitude – conclusion from 321 studies – April 2011
- Lack of UV 20X more associated with MS than any other variable – Dec 2010
- Why has the MS latitude gradient disappeared – Oct 2011 Which could happen with Cancers as well
MS Latitude correlation - Garland smile graph