22,157 Australian adults hospitalized with a TIA from July 1, 2000, to June 30, 2007,
At 10 years after TIA the death rate was about 2X higher than those of same age, etc.
The researchers found that other diagnoses compounded TIA survivors' risk of dying.
Congestive heart failure more than tripled it. = 6X
Prior hospitalization for stroke more than doubled it, = 4X
while a type of irregular heart rhythm called atrial fibrillation doubled it. = 4X
As of Nov 2011 no apparent studies of TIA and Vitamin D
- Vitamin D to prevent the TIA
- Vitamin D to treat the TIA
However, note from: Transient Ischemic Attack NIH
The most important treatable factors linked to TIAs and stroke are:
- high blood pressure, cigarette smoking, heart disease, carotid artery disease, diabetes, and heavy use of alcohol.
- ALL of which either cause or are related to low levels of vitamin D
See also VitaminDWiki
- Overview Stroke and vitamin D
- Strokes might be treated as well as prevented by vitamin D – Jan 2011
- Question - Does more vitamin D make veins less stiff Nov 2007
- Heart disease, stroke, ...all linked to insufficient vitamin D levels LEF 2009 75% more likely to have a stroke
- Stroke patients show dearth of vitamin D – 2005
- Calcium without vitamin D increased heart risk by 30 percent - Jan 2011 and stroke by 20%
- All items in category Stroke
- All items in Surgery and Trauma 48 items Nov 2011