There are many ways to increase the response to the amount of vitamin D you take
% ? = guess - there is very little data
- Take vitamin D with the largest meal of the day 56%, or evening meal
- This was a pilot study in 2010. A clinical trial is underway - results due in 2017
- Apparenly supplements/pills taken just after the last meal of the day have the longest time to be absorbed
- Consider taking a different form of vitamin D: 50% ?
- Have far more mono-unsaturated fats in your diet than poly-unsaturated fats
Every 1 unit increase in the Mono/Poly ratio ==> 6.5 ng/ml increase in vitamin D in blood
Suggest taking vitamin D with a few almonds.
- Get more Magnesium say 500 mg daily (of the element, not the compound) 20% ?
- Of some interest - one woman successfully takes her vitamin D and Magnesium just one day a month.
- Get more vitamin K2: 10% ? especially benefits the bone. perhaps
- Have enough Boron: 20% ?
- Have at least some fat in your diet in that meal, or perhaps just in a meal the day you get additional vitamin D: 10%?
- Have enough cholesterol in your diet: 10% ?
- Cholesterol is essential for your skin to make vitamin D from the sun as well as adsorb vitamin D in your gut
- Have enough, but not too much Calcium 1 2 500 mg
- Have some, but not too much, vitamin A: 20% ?
- Reduce weight if obese - not an easy thing, but vitamin D will help about 30% of the obese lose weight: 70% ?
- Do not smoke - Smoking decreases Calcium which uses up vitamin D: 20% ?
- Do not use cola soft drinks - Cola, like smoking, reduces Calcium and thus vitamin D: 20% ?
- Omega-3 fatty acids may increase active vitamin D levels in your body by 60%
The study showed the increase for those with kidney failures who took 3 grams of Omega-3 daily
Hope to find a study of Omega-3 for those with functioning kidneys
Here is the summary of Co-factors web page - Aug 2012
|Co-factor||How Much||Benefit Bone||Bioavailability||Balance body||Notes|
|Calcium||<750mg||Yes||probably||Yes||Avoid getting too much|
|Magnesium||500mg||Yes||Yes||Yes||Very important, big range in bio-availability|
Studies have shown that, taken separately, the changes listed above will increase the benefits to oral vitamin D3 by a total of at least 2X
So far, there is no indication as to the benefits if you have a combination of the above changes
We speculate: 3X?, 4X?
I, Henry Lahore, the admin of VitaminDWIki, did all of the above and seem to have gotten a HUGE (perhaps 60 ng) increase in my Vitamin D blood level
But, some of the increase might have been due to my trying to optimize the vitamin D from the sun
Note: some of the above may also increase the benefits of vitamin D from the skin (sun or UV)
No data - just guess that you will increase the benefit of vitamin D from the skin by:
- Increasing Magnesium, Cholesterol, Vitamin K2
- Reducing smoking, weight, cola drinks, vitamin A
See also VitaminDWiki
- All items in How/When to take vitamin D 27 items
- All items How Much Vitamin D 274 items
- All items Vitamin D interactions some medicines decrease vitamin D 59 items
- All items Loading/Megadose 65 items
- sometimes a person is so low on vitamin D that it takes months to add enough to get a benefit
- All items Cholesterol and vitamin D 37 items
- Overview Obesity and Vitamin D
- Extra fat can sidetrack 1/2 to 2/3 of the vitamin D that would otherwise get to the blood
- All items - After surgery or trauma 137 items
- major stresses can quickly ( within 2 days) reduce the vitamin D levels in the blood by half
- Ways to increase the amount of vitamin D you get from the sun
- Reasons for low response by vitamin D level in the blood major update Dec 2014
- Hypothesis: Iron deficiency anemia results in reduced vitamin D in blood
- Fastest way to get vitamin D (without an IV) = spray the inside of your cheek
- Bio-emulsified drops doubled vitamin D levels – Dec 2010 Different form of D3 which is especially good for those with gut problems
- Review of bioavailability of vitamin D - oil aprox 2 ng per 100 IU Sept 2010
- Sublingual vitamin D
- All items in category Predict Vitamin D 39 items
- Vitamin D bioavailability: State of the art – Oct 2014
- Vitamin D 30 percent more available at breakfast which had high fat content – Nov 2014
Many ways to increase Vitamin D
short URL for this page = http://is.gd/2xvitd