Serum levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D and survival in Norwegian patients with cancer of breast, colon, lung, and lymphoma: a population-based study.
Cancer Causes Control. 2011 Dec 23.
Tretli S, Schwartz GG, Torjesen PA, Robsahm TE.
The Cancer Registry of Norway, Institute of Population-based Cancer Research, PB 5313, Majorstuen, 0304, Oslo, Norway, steinar.tretli at kreftregisteret.no.
PURPOSE: We investigated the association between serum levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25-OHD) and risk of death in Norwegian cancer patients.
METHODS: The study population was 658 patients with cancers of the
- breast (n = 251),
- colon (n = 52),
- lung (n = 210), and
- lymphoma (n = 145),
obtained from JANUS, a population-based serum bank in Norway. Serum samples were collected within 90 days of cancer diagnosis and were analyzed for 25-OHD. Patients were diagnosed during 1984-2004 and were followed for death throughout 2008. We used Cox regression models to assess the relationship between serum 25-OHD and risk of death.
RESULTS: Three hundred and ninety-nine patients died during follow-up, of whom 343 (86%) died from cancer. Adjusted for sex, age at diagnosis, and season of blood sampling, patients with 25-OHD levels below 46 nmol/L at diagnosis experienced shorter survival. Compared to patients in the lowest quartile of serum 25-OHD, the risk of cancer death among patients in the highest quartile was significantly reduced (HR 0.36 95% CI 0.27, 0.51). The estimated change in risk of cancer death was most pronounced between the first and the second quartile. The associations between 25-OHD levels and survival were observed for all four cancers.
CONCLUSIONS: Higher circulating serum levels of 25-OHD were positively associated with the survival for cancers of the breast, colon, lung, and lymphoma.
Lung Cancer (one of many charts in the PDF)
PDF is attached at the bottom of this page
See also VitaminDWiki
- Review of possible ways that vitamin D fights cancer – Jan 2012
- Overview of Cancer and Vitamin D
- All items in category Cancer and vitamin D 137 items
- All items in category After Cancer and Vitamin D 39 items
- All items in category Mortality and Vitamin D 109 items
- Mechanisms of the Anti-Cancer and Anti-Inflammatory - 2011.PDF
- Vitamin D for prevention and treatment of Cancer - technical July 2010 file
- Cancers and Vitamin D Council and Dr. Grant
- Video on how Vitamin D reduces Cancer – Feb 2011 Dr. Garland
- Vitamin D and Cancer Treatment and Prevention – presentations May 2011
- Vitamin D has a complex relationship with Cancer – meta-analysis July 2011
See also Web
- GrassRoots Health Many papers and videos on Cancer and Vitamin D - especially Breast Cancer
- Search several other websites on vitamin D topics - such as Cancer