The vitamin D system is deregulated in pancreatic diseases
The Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, online 30 July 2014, DOI: 10.1016/j.jsbmb.2014.07.011
Doris Hummela, 1, Abhishek Aggarwala, 1, Katalin Borkab, Erika Bajnaa, Enikö Kállaya, , , Henrik Csaba Horvathc
shaded text and numbers in the chart were added by VitaminDWiki
- During PDAC development CYP24A1 levels are reduced in the endocrine islets.
- During malignant transformation pancreatic ducts accumulate CYP24A1 protein.
- CYP24A1 expression correlates with VDR in CP patients, but not in PDAC patients.
- CYP24A1 overexpressing tumors are highly proliferative.
- CaSR and VDR are co-expressed in the endocrine cells of the islets.
The vitamin D system is deregulated during development and progression of several cancer types. Data on the expression of the vitamin D system in the diseased pancreas are missing.
The aim of this study was to investigate the expression of the vitamin D receptor (VDR), 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 24-hydroxylase (CYP24A1), and the calcium-sensing receptor (CaSR), a vitamin D target gene, in the different regions of the pancreas in patients with chronic pancreatitis (n = 6) and pancreatic ductal adenocarcinomas (PDAC) (n = 17). We analyzed the expression of these genes at mRNA and protein level with quantitative real-time RT-PCR and immunostaining. mRNA expression of CYP24A1 and VDR was significantly increased in tumors compared with the adjacent non-tumorous tissue (p < 0.05), while CaSR mRNA expression decreased. Both the VDR and the CaSR protein were highly expressed in the endocrine compared with the exocrine pancreas. In CP the CYP24A1 expression was highest in the endocrine pancreas, while in PDACs in the transformed ducts. In the PDAC patients CYP24A1 expression in the islets was significantly lower than in CP patients.
Our data suggest that during ductal adenocarcinoma development the vitamin D system in the pancreas becomes deregulated on two levels: in the islets CYP24A1 expression decreases weakening the negative feedback regulation of the vitamin D-dependent insulin synthesis/secretion. In the transformed ducts CYP24A1 expression increases, impairing the antiproliferative effect of vitamin D in these cells.
Tiny portions of the PDF
Diseases of the pancreas represent a large burden both for patients and for the public health system.
Pancreatic cancer has poor clinical outcome, the 5-year survival rate is less than 6% (http://www.pancreatic.org ).
The management and follow-up of these patients are still a major challenge for health care providers.
Despite of relatively low incidence, death due to pancreatic cancer ranks fourth among cancer-related deaths in the Western world due to the poor survival rate and rapid fatality after diagnosis.
MRNA expression of VDR, CYP24A1, and CaSR in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma (PDAC)
In our patient cohort (Table 1), we observed a significant upregulation of VDR (mean 3.7-fold) as well as of CYP24A1 (mean 30.78-fold) mRNA expression in PDAC compared with adjacent parts of the pancreas. mRNA expression of the CaSR decreased in the tumors of most patients by 50%, however did not reach statistical significance (Fig. 1A). CYP27B1 levels did not change (data not shown). Our data are consistent with the microarray gene expression data published in the GEO database by Zhang et al.  (Fig. 1B), suggesting that our patient cohort was representative, despite the low sample size.
PDF is attached at the bottom of this page
See also VitaminDWiki
- Restoring vitamin D levels to Pancreatic patients required up to 20000 IU daily – May 2012
20,000 IU is needed to restore vitamin D in the blood stream, perhaps need far more to TREAT Pancreatic Cancer
- Prostate cancer reduced in high vitamin D two studies – April 2012 one trial used 40,000 IU daily
- VERY LARGE doses of vitamin D have CURED 2,000 people of MS in Brazil perhaps large doses are needed for Pancreatic Cancer as well.
- Chemotherapy might be amplified by vitamin D must be careful about taking lots of vitamin D with Chemo
- All items in category Pacreatic Cancer and Vitamin D 35 items
- Search VitaminDWiki for CYP24A1 503 hits as of Dec 2014
- All items in category Vitamin D Receptor 127 items
- Role of Vitamin D in human Diseases and Disorders – An Overview – DBP, VDR June 2014
- Notice: A LOT of vitamin D is need to PREVENT Pancreatic Cancer
See also web
- 1.5 % is US will be diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at some point during their lifetime
- Pancreatic Cancer projected to be the 2nd leading cause of Cancer deaths by 2030 PubMed May 2014
- Pancreatic Cancer statistics and charts Pancreatic Cancer Action UK,
Notice that the map shows Pancreatic Cancer, like many other Cancers, is strongly related to latitude (UVB)