Dr. Gominak in Texas has some interesting ideas about Migraine, Sleep and Vitamin D
see new publication by Dr. Gominak Nov 2011 Poor sleep and lack of vitamin D - Nov 2011
CLICK HERE for her web page on Migraine and Vitamin D
Notes from PDF CLICK HERE for PDF
- Migraine pain transmitters are mutant genes which turn on the pain receptors evolved to be activated only with concussions.
- If you do not have a migraine gene a sleep disorder will not cause headache pain.
- "Most patients with daily headache have a primary sleep disorder, either sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome or periodic limb movements of sleep.” Page 35
- 'Most of these patients have vitamin D deficiency with or without accompanying B12 deficiency
Measure D 25OH, B12, iron and replace all that are low (page 35)
- Vitamin D 70- -85 nanograms/ ml.
- B12 > 500/ml.“
Any migraine theory has to explain (page 37)
- Why do migraines start at puberty?
- Why do they start in boys and girls around the same age but get much better in boys?
- Why are they worse around the menses?
- Why are they much worse perimenopausally?
- Why do they go away after menopause?
See also in VitaminDWiki
- Vitamin D and Migraine – Nov 2010
- All items in category Headache and vitamin D 11 items
- Sleep and vitamin D - Jan 2011 also by Dr. Gominak
- Overview Brain and vitamin D
- Cluster headaches substantially reduced by 10,000 IU of Vitamin D in 80 percent of people
See also web
- FDA approved TMS device for headache - Dec 2013
Based on a single RCT and diary entries of 100 people
Side effects from the device were rare, the FDA said, but included "single reports of sinusitis, aphasia (inability to speak or understand language) and vertigo."
Rare? with only 100 people, Minor?
Wonder how many of the following RCT would get FDA approval if significant effort was applied?
- Proof that Vitamin D Works has the following summary
click for details
|RCT = Random Controlled Trial |
* = link to additional RCT
CT = Clinical Trial
|Hypertension||T||149 to 142 mm Hg||RCT* *, 2400 IU||1|
|Cardiovascular after attack||T||32 % fewer deaths||1000 IU||2|
|Diabetes T1||P||85 %||12000 kids, 2000 IU||3|
|Diabetes T2||T||62 %||RCT* *, CRP reduction, 4000 IU||4|
|Back Pain||T||95 %||5000/10000 IU||5|
|Influenza||P||90 %||RCT *, 2000 IU||6|
|Falls||P||19 %||RCT, 1000 IU||7|
|Hip Fractures||P||30 %||RCT* 800 IU||8|
|Rickets||P||98 %||Turkey, 400 IU||9|
|Raynaud's Syndrome||T||40 %||RCT, visual scale, 20000 IU avg||10|
|Menstrual pain||P||76 %||RCT, 7000 IU avg||11|
|Pregnancy risks||P||50 %||RCT, 4000 IU||12|
|C-section, unplanned||P||50 %||RCT, 4000 IU, small study||13|
|Low birth weight||P||60 %||RCT* 1000 IU of D2||14|
|TB||P||60 %||RCT, 800 IU||15|
|Breast Cancer||P||60 %||RCT, 1100 IU (2007)||16 *|
|Rheumatoid Arthritis pain||T||40 %||RCT, 500 IU, added to prescription||17|
|Cystic Fibrosis||T||75 %||RCT, pilot 4X fewer deaths 250,000 IU||18|
|Chronic Kidney||T||90 to 70 PTH||RCT, 3500 IU,||19|
|Respiratory Tract Infection||P||63 %||RCT, 4000 IU 1 year 2nd RCT: 2000/800 IU||20|
|Lupus||T||zero flares||Loading then 100,000 IU monthly, RCT too||21|
|Sickle Cell||T||Less pain||RCT, up to 100,000 IU/week||22|
|Leg ulcer healing||T||4X faster||RCT, 50,0000 IU/week, small study||23|
|Traumatic Brain Injury||T||2X||RCT, 20,0000 IU/day with progesterone||24|
|Parkinson's Disease||T||Stabilize||RCT, 1200 IU/day||25|
|Multiple Sclerosis||P||68%||RCT, 7100 IU prevent pre-MS ==> MS||26|
|Congestive Heart Failure||T||90 %||RCT, 1000 IU infants (also: Adults, not RCT)||27|
|Middle Ear Infection||P||30 %||RCT, 1000 IU infants||28|
|Gingivitis||T||88 %||RCT, 2000 IU||29|
|Muscle in seniors||T||17 % more muscle||RCT, 4000 IU||30|
|Antibiotic use when >70y||T||47 %||RCT, 60,000 IU monthly||31|
|Infants taller||Benefit||1 cm taller||RCT, 50,000 IU weekly, 8 weeks||32|
|Gestational Diabetes||T||Treated||RCT, 2 doses of 50,000 IU||33|
|After Heart Attack||T||+6% ejection fraction||RCT, 800,000 IU one time||34|
|Prostate Cancer||T||Fewer +cores||RCT, 4000 IU (2012)||35|
|Asthma||T||Reduced||RCT, 60K IU/month; RCT 50K IU/week||36|
|Depression||T||Reduced||RCT, 300,000 IU injection RCT helped Prozac||37|
|Low vitamin D while breastfed||P||All infants > 20 ng||RCT, 5,000 IU||38|
|Fibromyalgia||T||Reduced||RCT, 30-48 ng RCT 50K IU/week||39|
|Hives, Chronic||T||Reduced 40%||RCT, 4000 IU added||40|
|Cholesterol||T||Reduced 4 mg||RCT, 400 IU + Ca||41|
|Weight Loss||T||lost 5 more lbs||RCT, 2000 IU +diet +exercise||42|
|Multiple Sclerosis||T||95% were CURED||20,000 to 140,000 IU/day||43|
|Gestational Diabetes||P||40%||RCT * , 5,000 IU||44|
|T||17X improvement||CT, 50,000 IU weekly||45|
|Asthma||T||1/2 Asthma attacks||RCT >42 ng of vitamin D||46|
|Quality of Life (QoL)||T||Nursing Home QoL||CT, 4,000 IU in daily bread||47|
|Death of Critically Ill Patients||T||20% increase in survivability||RCT 540 K IU loading then 90K monthly||48|
|Restless Leg Syndrome||T||Score 26 ==> 10||CT, Vitamin D dose size not in abstract||49|
|Hepatitis-C||T __||Enhanced conventional drugs||RCT 2.000 IU||50|
You can click underlined items to get details Short url for this page= is.gd/proofvitd
* The only RCT available when the Institute of Medicine decided how much vitamin D was needed
Note: virtually all of the above RCT proofs have a larger benefit that that shown for the TMS device
AND have far fewer side effects