Dr. Gominak in Texas has some interesting ideas about Migraine, Sleep and Vitamin D
see new publication by Dr. Gominak Nov 2011 Poor sleep and lack of vitamin D - Nov 2011
CLICK HERE for her web page on Migraine and Vitamin D
Notes from PDF CLICK HERE for PDF
- Migraine pain transmitters are mutant genes which turn on the pain receptors evolved to be activated only with concussions.
- If you do not have a migraine gene a sleep disorder will not cause headache pain.
- "Most patients with daily headache have a primary sleep disorder, either sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome or periodic limb movements of sleep.” Page 35
- 'Most of these patients have vitamin D deficiency with or without accompanying B12 deficiency
Measure D 25OH, B12, iron and replace all that are low (page 35)
- Vitamin D 70- -85 nanograms/ ml.
- B12 > 500/ml.“
Any migraine theory has to explain (page 37)
- Why do migraines start at puberty?
- Why do they start in boys and girls around the same age but get much better in boys?
- Why are they worse around the menses?
- Why are they much worse perimenopausally?
- Why do they go away after menopause?
See also in VitaminDWiki
- Vitamin D and Migraine – Nov 2010
- All items in category Headache and vitamin D 11 items
- Sleep and vitamin D - Jan 2011 also by Dr. Gominak
- Overview Brain and vitamin D
See also web
- FDA approved TMS device for headache - Dec 2013
Based on a single RCT and diary entries of 100 people
Side effects from the device were rare, the FDA said, but included "single reports of sinusitis, aphasia (inability to speak or understand language) and vertigo."
Rare? with only 100 people, Minor?
Wonder how many of the following RCT would get FDA approval if significant effort was applied?
- Proof that Vitamin D Works has the following summary
|Reduction||RCT = Random Controlled Trial (*= >1 RCT)||#|
|Hypertension||T||149 to 142||RCT, mm Hg avg., 2400 IU *||1|
|Cardiovascular||T||32 %||Death after heart failure, 1000 IU||2|
|Diabetes T1||P||85 %||12000 kids, 2000 IU||3|
|Diabetes T2||T||62 %||RCT, CRP reduction, 4000 IU *||4|
|Back Pain||T||95 %||5000/10000 IU||5|
|Influenza||P||90 %||RCT, 2000 IU||6|
|Falls||P||19 %||RCT, 1000 IU||7|
|Hip Fractures||P||30 %||RCT* 800 IU||8|
|Rickets||P||98 %||Turkey, 400 IU||9|
|Raynaud's Syndrome||T||40 %||RCT, visual scale, 20000 IU avg||10|
|Menstrual pain||P||76 %||RCT, 7000 IU avg||11|
|Pregnancy risks||P||50 %||RCT, 4000 IU||12|
|C-section, unplanned||P||50 %||RCT, 4000 IU, small study||13|
|Low birth weight||P||60 %||RCT* 1000 IU of D2||14|
|TB||P||60 %||RCT, 800 IU||15|
|Breast Cancer||P||60 %||RCT, 1100 IU (2007)||16|
|Rheumatoid Arthritis pain||T||40 %||RCT, 500 IU, added to prescription||17|
|Cystic Fibrosis||T||75 %||RCT, pilot 4X fewer deaths 250,000 IU||18|
|Chronic Kidney||T||90 - > 70||RCT, 3500 IU, PTH avg||19|
|Respiratory Tract Infection||P||63 %||RCT, 4000 IU 1 year||20|
|Lupus||T||No flares||Loading then 100,000 IU monthly, RCT too||21|
|Sickle Cell||T||Less pain||RCT, up to 100,000 IU/week||22|
|Leg ulcer healing||T||4X faster||RCT, 50,0000 IU/week, small study||23|
|Traumatic Brain Injury||T||2X||RCT, 20,0000 IU/day with progesterone||24|
|Parkinson's Disease||T||Stabilize||RCT, 1200 IU/day||25|
|Multiple Sclerosis||P||68%||RCT, 7100 IU prevent pre-MS ==> MS||26|
|Congestive Heart Failure||T||90 %||RCT, 1000 IU infants (also: Adults, not RCT)||27|
|Middle Ear Infection||P||30 %||RCT, 1000 IU infants||28|
|Gingivitis||T||88 %||RCT, 2000 IU||29|
|Muscle in seniors||T||+17 %||RCT, 4000 IU||30|
|Antibiotic use when >70y||T||47 %||RCT, 60,000 IU monthly||31|
|Infants taller||Benefit||1 cm||RCT, 50,000 IU weekly, 8 weeks||32|
|Gestational Diabetes||T||Treated||RCT, 2 doses of 50,000 IU||33|
|After Heart Attack||T||+6% EF||RCT, 800,000 IU||34|
|Prostate Cancer||T||Fewer +cores||RCT, 4000 IU (2012)||35|
|Asthma||T||Reduced||RCT, 60,000 IU monthly||36|
|Depression||T||Reduced||RCT, 300,000 IU injection||37|
|Low vitamin D while breastfed||P||All > 20 ng||RCT, 5,000 IU||38|
|Fibrolyalgia||T||Reduced||RCT, 30-48 ng||39|
|Hives, Chronic||T||Reduced 40%||RCT, 4000 IU added||40|
Note: virtually all of the above RCT proofs have a larger benefit that that shown for the TMS device
AND have far less side effects