Overview of vitamin D testing
- Low cost Vitamin D Blood tests cost $40 - $70
- Several governments no longer give free vitamin D tests
- Beware - hospital/govt tests often cost $150-$250
- Blood is typically drawn at a lab or hospital
- Tests can also be made at home - blood spot is mailed in
- Test results from both are available in 1-5 days
- Test results from both have a reliability/repeatability/consistency of plus or minus 5 percent
- Example: 30 ng it could really be 28.5 ng to 31.5 ng
- The primary purpose of a blood test is to make sure you are getting enough vitamin D
- Rarely will the test show that you are getting too much vitamin D
- You may want to have a loading dose and followed by 3 months on maintenace dose then get a vitamin D test to confirm that you are taking enough
$50 for public $45 for members
Details on blood spot testing at Vitamin D Council
Heartland Assays is a company run by Drs. Ron Horst and Bruce Hollis
Do not notice dried blood spot testing on their website Dec 2014
Vitamin D related tests which they provide include
Plasma or Serum 25(OH) Vitamin D2/D3 by LC/MS/MS - $60/sample: Vitamin D Binding Protein - $25/sample
Total 25(OH)D by Liaison - $29/sample Total 25(OH)D by RIA - $35/sample
Total 1,25(OH)2D by RIA - $45/sample Serum or Plasma Vitamin D2/D3 LC/MS/MS - $60
24,25(OH)2 Vitamin D2/D3 by LC/MS/MS - $60
Results There was good agreement between measurements of 25OHD from DBS and plasma; R2 = 0.73 from a regression of plasma concentration on DBS concentration. The within-batch and between-batch intraclass correlations from the 500 replicate measurements were 0.82 (95% confidence interval, 0.80, 0.85) and 0.73 (95% confidence interval, 0.68, 0.78), respectively.
Free Vitamin D deficiency test which does not use blood
Quick self test of vitamin D deficiency not quantitative, but free and extremely easy to do
They mail out a coupon which you bring to a Labcor location to get your blood tested
Life Extension will send you the results within a week - your choices include mail, FAX, e-mail ...
(I have used LEF many times and have gotten results in e-mail the next day. Henry Lahore)
Cost of test: Non-members $62.67, members $47.00 (as of Feb 2013)
The $75 Life Extension membership fee is applied to any product they sell!
Thus, you can get a free vitamin D blood test by paying their membership fee. Such a deal
Note: many of their great supplements are available at lower than member cost on Amazon.
Private MD also uses Labcor $63 (confirmed Nov 2014)
Description: The Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy test is primarily ordered to measure the amount of 25-hydroxy vitamin in the bloodstream to rule out Vitamin D deficiency.
A significant deviation from the normal range may require further evaluation by your physician.
Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy: AKA = 25-Hydroxycalciferol. 25-OH-D, Cholecalciferol Metabolite, Vitamin D, Vitamin D3 Metabolite
Facebook for Grassroots
GrassrootsHealth is sponsoring the use of blood spot test kits (laboratory analysis done by ZRT Labs)
The tests are to be done twice a year by each individual along with the submission of some basic health data.
The kits are not available as a ‘stand alone’ without health data.
You have to fill in some information on amount of vitamin D you are taking, etc
They provide a quantity price discount. I suspect all kits are shipped at the same time)
1 test - $65 + $5 shipping
2 tests - $63/test + $5 shipping
10 test - $60/test + $5 shipping
Video of use of GrassRoots home test kit similar for other home tests
A group of 6,000 people have vitamin D levels higher than 50 ng – GrassrootsHealth many charts
Here is the GrassRoots Chart as of April 2012
Money back guarantee, but not available in Canada or New York.
Test results are currently mailed, not e-mailed. Test type is EIA by Diasorin (Liason).
Home test kits sold for UK and the world Aug 2014 $52
£28 UK and £33 overseas. - overseas customer have to add airmail return postage
It is a service by a hospital in Birminham England.which has been doing vitamin D tests for 20+ years
CLICK HERE for a Video showing the use of their test kit
Orders are placed over the phone, not online. Results are sent by email however.
Here is a copy of their test results (- in nmol, not nanograms)
Note: UK considers > 10 ng to be adequate.
See also VitaminDWiki
- All items in category Test for D 95 items
Many on variation between tests: different days, different testing methods
- No vitamin D test needed before supplementing (typically) – April 2014
- 50,000 IU monthly safe to take without any vitamin D testing – RCT Dec 2013
- Vitamin D test statistics: recent increase, esp. middle age, most under 30ng – Nov 2013
- 8,000 percent increase in Vitamin D testing by Medicare in a decade - June 2013
- Vitamin D testing in Australia - huge increase in 11 years - July 2012
- VA showed increased vitamin D testing associated with lower health costs - Lancet May 2012
- After 245,000 vitamin D tests 121,000 supplemented but only 5,400 had 2nd test – Oct 2011
- Consultation to medical professionals on Vitamin D Testing - Sept 2011
- Perhaps use a low cost test of excess Calcium in bloodstream
- Vitamin D testing continues to have lots of varition between systems – Nov 2012
- No longer debating vitamin D supplementation, now debating need for testing first – April 2013
- Vitamin D tester falsely said half of hemodialysis patients had less than 30 ng – Jan 2013
- Warning – Medicare will pay for just 1 vitamin D test PER LIFETIME (if not related to a few diseases)
- Vitamin D measurements vary with the same sample of blood – March 2014 chart follows - 1090 tests of the same blood sample
See also web
- Vitamin D blood test: Past and present debates, difficulties, and developments Vitamin D Council Jan 2013
Review of Vitamin D Assays: Past and Present Debates, Difficulties, and Developments. Calcif Tissue Int. 2013 Jan 13. behind a $5/month paywall
16 types of tests for vitamin D
85% use Immunoassay methods
- About 10% of adults have a fear of needles WikiPedia
So would be reluctant to get a vitamin D blood test
- Quest Diagnostics - Vitamin D lots of details, such as
Vitamin D testing from a Canadian viewpoint – Jan 2014
Vitamin D Testing NutriStart Canada Jan 8, 2014
- Proviences restricting tests – “except in selected patients with advanced renal failure, mineral and/or bone diseases”.
- Restricted: Alberta, B.C., Labrador, Manitoba, Newfoundland and Ontario.
- Your cost in Canada ranges from $93 to $32
- BC 2013 “Routine serum vitamin D testing or screening for vitamin D deficiency is not recommended…
- Author in BC found that would have needed to get a referral and then pay $61.32.
- US: not need a doctor:
healthcheckusa.com $95 Labcorp
privatemdlabs.com $63 Labcorp
- The Life Extension Foundation $47 for members, $63 for non-members. Labcorp
- The Vitamin D Council home test - ZRT Labs, $65
- Grassroots Health home test kit $65 ZRT
Results of Vitamin D test can be good, but Active Vitamin D might not get to the cells
Due to low Magnesium, Low Omega-3, Genes, Kidney disease, etc.