"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary is dependent upon his not understanding it”
10th reason in Why are doctors reluctant to accept vitamin D
Does Less Sun mean More Disease 5 minute video
- Note: in 2012 one doctor reduced patient visits from 4 per year to 1 per year by getting all patients to have a high level of vitamin D
- Result of vitamin D: Lost too much business and retired early.
Proof that Vitamin D Works 70 PROOFS as of July 2016
Note: Many recent trials are not randomized - researchers appear to not want to condem a portion of the trial subjects to low vitamin D
When doctors will also decide that many people need vitamin D?
Less sun ==> Less Vitamin D ==> Less Health
375 Intervention studies Sorted by disease prevented and/or treated
VitaminDWiki is focusing on those who profit from vitamin D (rather than on those who lose)
Goal of VitaminDWiki - Improve Global Health
Health Maintenance Organizations have a failry fixed annual income per participant
For HMOS: More Vitamin D ==> Less cost ==> More profit
Healthy pregnancies need lots of vitamin D summarizes the increases in health with vitamin D
Lots of vitamin D improves pregnant mother & child health in 15+ ways
|1. Reduces Miscarriage||2.5 times||Observation|
|2. Reduces Pre-eclampsia||3.6 times||RCT*|
|3. Reduces Gestational Diabetes||3 times||RCT*|
|4. Reduces Depression AFTER pregnancy||1.4 times||RCT*|
|5. Reduces Vaginosis||10 times||RCT*|
|6. Reduces Premature birth||2 times||RCT*|
|7. Reduces C-section - unplanned||1.6 times||Observation|
|8. Reduces Small for Gestational Age||3 times||Observation|
|9. Infant height, weight, head size |
within normal limits
|10. Reduces Childhood Wheezing||1.3 times||RCT*|
|11. Reduces Childhood Autism||4 times||Intervention|
|12. Reduces young adult Multiple Sclerosis||1.9 times||Observation|
|13. Reduces Preeclampsia in young adult||3.5 times||RCT*|
|14. Reduces Childhood Mite allergy||5 times||RCT*|
|15. Reduce Childhood Respiratory Tract visits||2.5 times||RCT*|
See also VitaminDWiki
- Vitamin D deficiency again associated with higher cost of health care – April 2015
- Save 2 billion dollars annually in fractures if take Vitamin D and Calcium – Frost and Sullivan Sept 2013
- UK would save as least 636 million dollars annually by giving 800 IU vitamin D free to all seniors – June 2014
- Getting Vitamin D into your body
Many ways include: +sun, supplement, fortify (including home fortification), injection,
Many types: topical, spray, powder, some herbs,
- Vitamin D levels increasing 7 percent per year, bones denser in Japan (probably supplementation) - June 2015
- 20X increase in vitamin D sold and 36 percent decrease in osteoporosis business in Australia – Nov 2013
Australians are getting more vitamin D (typically without Dr. recommendation) ==> 36% less osteoporosis
A little story about Australians and increased vitamin D levels
For decades Australians had been told that sunshine was deadly.
They avoided the sun, and some even used sunscreen 24 hours a day, during all seasons.
Then they noticed a big increase in a great many diseases.
The public thought that these increases might be due to low vitamin D from lack of sun.
The doctors said no, could not be, and the government would not even allow selling capsules containing more than 1000 IU
The public asked for vitamin D tests (about a 100X increase in 11 years)
The government then refused to pay for any more (unnecessary) vitamin D tests.
That did not stop the public - they took matter into their own hands.
Slight increase in Vitamin D levels (entire country increased vitamin D by 20X in a decade)
While the rest of the world had DECREASING levels of vitamin D